The AVES Elementary School Visual Art Sessions partnered local artist Chris Bing with all 286 K-6th grade students and teachers:
- engaging students in three to four 50-60 minute visual arts sessions making candle holders in kindergarten and 1st grade, bobble head balance figures in 2nd grade, skulls and paper mâché birds as part of the study of bird anatomy 3rd grade; ceramic bears and cast plaster maps as part of the study of California in 4th grade; carved whale teeth as part of the Age of Sail study in 5th grade; and paper mâché salmon and also cuneiform tablets as part of world cultures study in 6th grade; and
- concluding with a culminating exhibit of student art at Lauren’s restaurant in Boonville which shared the art created in the sessions with families and community members and provided students a chance to be the featured artists on exhibit in a venue that exhibits work by professional artists from throughout Mendocino County and beyond.
The AVES Arts Across The Curriculum cross-age, integrated arts poetry writing and bookmaking project partnered artist and arts educator Cathleen Micheaels with students, teachers and families:
- bringing poetry writing and bookmaking which included hand lettering, decorative papermaking miniature block printmaking and collage to all 286 K- 6th grade students and supported teaching and learning in English-Language Arts, Science, Social Studies and Visual Arts;
- engaging all 5th and 6th graders in “teaching what they know” by serving as Art Buddy mentors in the K-1st grade classes, helping the younger students write their poems and make their books;
- bringing together 110 students, families, staff and junior high, high school and parent volunteers to make poem mini-print collage banners about food for display in the school cafeteria at the annual Family Arts Night in April; and
- hosting the culminating classroom displays of books and poetry presentations as part of the school-wide Open House in May.
The AVHS Junior High School Dance Sessions partnered dancer and retired Mendocino County teacher Jane Corey with AVHS Physical Education teacher Jason Page:
- bringing structured improvisation, partner and group dances into two junior high school Physical Education classes twice a month for a total of sixteen sessions;
- engaging sixty-one junior high school students in multicultural dance which emphasized dance fundamental lessons and specific dances with the goal of building dance vocabulary, working on rhythm, aerobic stamina, coordination and movement; and
- introducing improvisation, partner and group dances with music from folk and classical traditions as well as a dance partner teacher.
The AVHS The Food We Eat PhotoVoice Project partnered artist and arts educator Cathleen Micheaels with AVHS Photography Class teacher Nat Corey-Moran:
- engaging students in taking photographs and crafting individual narrative “storylines” which together told the stories of the food they eat including breakfast, lunch during and after school snacks, dinner, comfort and special holiday foods as well as cultural influences and where food is purchased and/ or grown;
- connecting students with local community member resources including a visit from Amanda Bontecou proprietor of Philo Hill Farm who is also the Boonville Farmers’ Market Manager and a field trip to Pennyroyal Farm for a tour of the cheese making, goat and sheep herds and grounds by Head Cheesemaker & Herd Manager Erika McKenzie-Chapter; and
- hosting a very successful culminating exhibit of student photographs and storylines at Lauren’s restaurant in Boonville with an opening reception event which brought together 60-65 students, teachers, staff family and community members who joined us for a viewing of the project museum-quality framed photos and storyline displays and a presentation of the project website including students reading excerpts from their completed storylines.